- Home Page
- Search Guidelines
Master List of Graduates 1887 - 1961
- Classes Prior to 1910
- Decade Gallery 1910 - 1919 >
Decade Gallery 1920 - 1929
Decade Gallery 1930 - 1939
Decade Gallery 1940 - 1949
Decade Gallery 1950 - 1959
- Classes of 1960 - 1961 >
- 1920's Teachers & Board Members
- 1930's Teachers, Board & Bus Drivers
- 1940's Teachers
- 1950's Teachers
- Early School Buildings
- Master List of Graduates 1887 - 1961 >
1940 Census Index
- Carroll Census 1940 Page 1 of 10
- Carroll Census 1940 Page 2 of 10
- Carroll Census 1940 Page 3 of 10
- Carroll Census 1940 Page 4 of 10
- Carroll Census 1940 Page 5 of 10
- Carroll Census 1940 Page 6 of 10
- Carroll Census 1940 Page 7 of 10
- Carroll Census 1940 Page 8 of 10
- Carroll Census 1940 Page 9 of 10
- Carroll Census 1940 Page 10 of 10
- 1930 Census Index >
- 1920 Census Index >
- 1910 Census Index >
- 1900 Census Index >
- 1880 Census Index >
- 1870 Census Index >
- 1860 Census Index >
- 1850 Census Index >
- 1940 Census Index >
- Greenfield Township >
- Bloom Township >
- Carroll Census >
- Carroll Cemetery
- Ancestry & Cemetery Research
- Hocking Valley, Indians & Zanes Trace
- Township Histories
- Canal History
- Biographies & Recollections
- Maps and Business Directories
- Connection Diagrams
- Historical Photos
- Carroll Fame
"Looking at Carroll" by Jessie Gundy
- Looking at Carroll Part One >
Looking at Carroll Part Two
- Part 2 Page 1 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 2 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 3 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 4 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 5 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 6 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 7 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 8 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 9 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 10 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 11 of "Looking at Carroll"
- Part 2 Page 12 of "Looking at Carroll"
- "Passing Papers" >
- "Looking at Carroll" by Jessie Gundy >
- Family Profiles
- Historical Homes & Places
- Villages of Greenfield Township
- The Bright Settlement
- Contact Page
Carroll Public Square - Center and Canal Streets:
Right to Left: First three buildings no longer exist. The former bank building/Atwood Door Company occupies this space. The fourth building still stands, was recently renovated, and is now a private residence. Starting in about 1900, this building once served as the village's post office for 45 years (source Tammy Drobina). This appears to be an earlier photo - note the smaller trees in front of the business buildings. In this photo, there is inclusion of the former dry goods store (currently the Lion's Club Building) - note presence of the horse and buggy / hitching rails.
Another very early, turn of the century, photo.
Carroll Town Hall - Corner of Center and Park Streets:
The former Carroll Town Hall. This building was built in 1911 and razed in 1968. The Carroll Municipal Office was built in its exact location (corner of Center and Park Streets). Since the 1910 (new) Carroll High School did not have an auditorium or gym, the Town Hall served as the community location for plays, basketball games, and social gatherings. Carroll's first fire department was located here. The building also housed a doctor's office, a barber shop (note the striped barber pole, and even a police department/jail facility.
West Market Street:
One of several early postcards of Carroll - circa 1910. This one is a view of West Market Street (looking east). Note the unpaved street and many trees.
Carroll Train Depot:
Photo circa 1949, the second Carroll Train Depot - Hocking Valley Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad. This replaced the former depot that burred down in 1905. This depot believed to have been built at some point soon after that fire. This building was moved to the Fairfield County Fairgrounds in 1966 and preserved for community members to experience. The three rooms of the depot included a waiting room for passengers, an agent room to sell tickets and send telegraph messages, and a room to manage freight.
The original Carroll Train Depot, which was built around 1870 (some sources cite 1869, others 1871) and destroyed by fire in 1905.
Carroll Methodist Church:
Another early postcard of Carroll. Postmark date is 1912. This is the original Carroll Methodist Church that dates back to 1854 and was located on Center Street. It was later replaced with a larger, brick structure in this exact location (see photo below). Note the gaslight on the left. A creamery was once located to the right of the building. Interesting to note, this postcard is marked 1912, which is the year that the new brick church was erected. This may have been one of the last photos of this quaint frame church.
Carroll M. E. Church:
Another early postcard, this is the 'New M. E. Church'. This was built in 1912 and replaced the former frame church. Note the beautiful brick construction with numerous stained glass windows. This building is now a fabulously restored private residence.
Railway - 3rd Rail:
A rare, unusual postcard postmarked 1908. This is the 'Big Cut and Depot Scioto Valley Railway - 3rd Rail'. The photo directly below shows the correspondence on the back of the postcard.
An interesting note penned in 1908 on the back of the postcard displayed above (railway bed photo). The writer wonders if Edith is homesick, wants to know when she plans to 'come down' (to visit), and to 'bring Sammie along', then adds that 'Ma says it's awful lonesome up here'. Note the use of just about every available inch of writing space on the card and the One Cent postage stamp.
Rainbow Bridge - Carroll-Northern Road:
Smith-Carnes Covered Bridge - Beaver Street/Carnes Road:
Circa 1890 and spanned the former Ohio Erie Canal that once crossed over Beaver St./Carnes Road across from where the former GTFD Station (now Carroll Civic Center) is located.
Previously, Rock Mill was privately owned, however was donated by Robert & Rita Stebelton to the Fairfield County Historical Parks system. It has been wonderfully preserved and restored. Note the large barn in the background - it still exists today. The photo below is of Rock Mill today - completely restored including new water wheel. For more information about Rock Mill, visit: http://www.historicalparks.org/rock-mill-park/
Mural - The Dick Gorham:
Beautiful mural painted by Bloom-Carroll High School Students in 2005 on the side of a building located on the corner of Center and Canal Streets.This was copied from an original early photo of a state canal boat, the Dick Gorham. Mr. Gorham settled in the area in 1832 and operated a drug store in the village.